Friday, June 14, 2013

Flour, Water, and Animal Biscuits

  
Hello all, and welcome to my very first blog post! I figured we should first all get acquainted with one another, so please allow me to introduce myself.  My name is Kara King, and I am from the lovely Volunteer state, Tennessee. At three years old, most kids were mixing mud and water, but I, on the other hand, fancied mixing flour and water. My passion for cooking started when I was only tall enough to reach my nana's knee caps. Whenever I stayed at her house, she would plop me on a stool beside her and the cooking adventures would begin. What I became known for was my "animal biscuits." Dog, cat, sheep— just name the species and I could have shaped it into a biscuit. Because this recipe was a two ingredient fix, the taste was something similar to cardboard, but it could have tasted like cardboard dipped in mud and my nana would have still given it five stars. Nana and I have always been cooking partners; some of my fondest memories are cooking Thanksgiving or Easter dinner next to her in the kitchen. She constantly reminds me that the recipe is not the dictator, I am. My nana taught me much more than just cooking; she showed me how to be passionate about something.  


I have always seen fruits and vegetable as things of beauty and the sound of chopping carrots is music to my ears. Not only am I fascinated with the process of cooking, but cooking is how I can share myself with others. Cooking and food always brings people together. When two people go on a date, what do they usually do at some point? Eat. What about the concept of family dinners? People eat and talk about what is going on in their lives. Food is the golden thread in connecting people. This now brings me to the meaning behind “I GOT YOU FLOURS.” Many people like to give “flowers” when they want to express care or love, but I like to give “flours.” “Flours” in a rue for a soup, bread, cake, maybe even animal biscuits, but whatever form, I always make sure my “flours” are given with love that fills the stomach and the heart. I hope you all will join me in sharing with the world my love of cooking, baking, and food.

Eat, drink, and be merry,
Kara

1 comment:

  1. You're blog is precious and I can't wait for you to post more!

    ReplyDelete